Meet an IHA Member

Thomas Tredway Library, Augustana College, Rock Island

A center for teaching and research, the Thomas Tredway Library advances the academic aims of Augustana College by actively promoting student learning. The librarians and staff members commit to strong liaison and instructional programs integrated into the Augustana curriculum; provide high-quality, personal interaction and reference sessions with patrons; build and maintain a strong user-focused collection to support curricular needs; and serve both the Augustana campus and larger community. The library fosters collegiality and cooperation while promoting respect, embracing diversity, and encouraging the pursuit of intellectual growth and excellence.

 

Special Collections, located on the first floor of Tredway Library, holds Augustana’s collections of rare books and manuscripts as well as the college archives. The primary mission of Special Collections is to collect, preserve, and make available materials that serve the teaching and research needs of Augustana College and the local community.  Materials in Special Collections support the college curriculum and assist in faculty teaching and student learning. Materials also further the research of students, faculty, and staff, independent researchers and the public.  Special Collections attempts to support and foster intellectual curiosity and provides an opportunity for users to develop rhetorical and critical thinking skills, cultural stewardship, empathy and engagement with materials, and acceptance of ambiguity through interactions with primary materials.

 

===============================================

Southern Illinois University Museum, Carbondale

NOTICE OF TEMPORARY CLOSURE

Thank you for your interest in the University Museum. We have closed temporarily as of July 1, 2017, due to the ongoing state budget issues.

We plan to resume operations once a permanent state budget provides enough support to staff the museum so that we can provide the quality experience our visitors expect. Meanwhile, we are maintaining the museum’s collections for the future.

We appreciate your patience and your commitment to the University Museum.

The University Museum occupies the first floor of the north wing of Faner Hall. This multipurpose campus building also houses other departments in the College of Liberal Arts. Completed in 1974, Faner Hall is an award winning design in the “brutalism” architectural style popular in the mid to late 20th Century.

 Established in 1874, the University Museum now has 10,000 square feet of exhibition space in two halls.  The Museum features approximately 30 new exhibits each year, including traveling exhibits, student art, and artifacts  from the Museum’s collection of over 60,000 objects of art, history, ethnography, and science.

The North Hall includes the Mitchell Gallery, a 2,500 square foot premiere gallery space overlooking the Museum’s Sculpture Garden and home to many of the Museum’s exciting art exhibits, the Continuum Gallery, which serves as the education gallery, and the120-foot long Atrium Gallery.

 In the South Hall, there are six galleries of varying sizes.  South Hall also houses the Meret Gallery where SIUC student art is sold.

Sculpture Garden

The University Museum boasts a beautiful outdoor sculpture garden on the west side of the very northern end of Faner Hall, just outside the Mitchell Gallery.  Artists represented in the garden include Aldon Addington, Richard Hunt, Dan Johnson, and Ernest Trova.

The museum is free and open to all. It is open when classes are in session at the University, but is closed Sundays and Mondays.  Regular Hours: Tue. 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.; Sat. 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.  The Museum Office, located in Faner Hall, Room 2469, is open: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to Noon, and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Public parking is available across from the Student Center.  A map of parking is available on the Museums website: www.museum.siu.edu.  For information, please call: 618-453-5388.

 The University Museum has been accredited by the American Alliance of Museums since 1977.

 

==================================================

 

Hinsdale Historical Society, Hinsdale, IL

The approaching centennial of the Village of Hinsdale in 1973 brought together interested parties to create a historical society. The Hinsdale Historical Society was incorporated in 1975 and in 1981 it acquired and relocated a centennial home to serve as its headquarters in a one-quarter acre park on a long-term lease from the village.

 

From December 2004 through July 2005, the Hinsdale Historical Society led the effort to preserve the home and studio of noted Hinsdale architect R. Harold Zook, originally located at 327 S. Oak St., Hinsdale, Illinois, by relocating them to Katherine Legge Memorial Park, 5941 S. County Line Rd., Hinsdale, after demolition was imminent.

The Zook home and studio are a celebration of the talents and unique designs of Hinsdale’s own architect, R. Harold Zook. The English Cotswold-style house – with brick and stone walls, casement windows with leaded diamond patterns, heavy wooden arched doors, custom wrought iron fixtures (hardware, lights, gates, posts), an undulating wood shingle roof with rolled eaves to resemble a thatch roof (the undulations are illusory, having been created by careful placement of the shingles in gently curving lines), and a large art-deco masonry wall curving around the backyard – was designed by Zook and built in 1924 for Zook and his family.

The garage/studio sits next to the home and showcases many of Zook’s distinctive elements. A detailed wrought iron stairway leads to Zook’s studio on the second level. It is here that Zook may have worked.

Built in 1900 by German craftsmen, Immanuel Hall, a former church, stands as a symbol of Hindsale’s spirit and sense of community. It has served not only as a church, but also as office space and as a preschool.

The building was deactivated as a church in 1964, after which it was used as the state headquarters for the United Church of Christ and then as a Montessori school. The sale of the site in 1998 made it likely that the former church would be demolished, with Hinsdale losing yet another irreplaceable piece of its history and tradition.

The building was saved from demolition through the efforts of the Hinsdale Historical Society, government officials, and residents. Now on the National Register of Historic Places, Immanuel Hall continues to serve the community as a place available for public use.

 

 

 

The museum is located at 15 S. Clay Street, Hinsdale. It is open to the public Friday and Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. To inquire about rental of Immanuel Hall or visiting the museum or Zook Home and Studio, contact the museum at 630-789-2600. Email: info@hinsdalehistory.org. Mailing address:

Hinsdale Historical Society/Immanuel Hall, P.O. Box 336, Hinsdale, IL 60522

==================================================

McLean County Museum of History, Bloomington, Illinois

The McLean County Museum of History traces it roots back to 1892, the year the McLean County Historical Society was founded.  At that time, the society established a series of public events in which members made presentations concerning local history. Without solicitation, people in the community began donating objects related to this history. The original museum opened in the then new McLean County Courthouse in 1904, when society members had collected enough material, in the form of presented papers, donated artifacts, and transcribed reminiscences, to share with the public.

During the next several decades, the museum moved to a new location and its collections and programs were substantially expanded.

The museum was accredited by the American Association of Museums (AAM) in 1984. Three years later, a new challenge was presented to the society. The 1904 McLean County Courthouse––the museum’s original home––was offered, with substantial incentives, as a site for the museum. The society developed a new long-range plan to accomplish this transition. The plan for the museum found broad support, and the community donated over $2,400,000 for the project. The Old Courthouse was sensitively remodeled and redeveloped as a museum. The room in which items were first displayed in 1904 now houses the Barbara Dunbar Textile Collection. In 1993 the American Association for State and Local History (AASLH) Award of Merit recognized the success of this effort. The museum was reaccredited by AAM in 1996, and again in 2006.

Today the museum has a staff of thirteen, seven public galleries, more than 19,000 objects in its collections, a library of nearly 11,000 volumes, and more than 1,800 linear feet of archives. It provides direct services to nearly 40,000 people a year.

The museum is located at 200 North Main Street in Bloomington. It is open Monday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; admission is $5 for adults, or $4 for seniors (65 and up); children and students with valid ID are admitted free, as are historical society members. On Tuesday, admission is free to all and the museum remains open until 9:00 p.m. The McLean County Museum of History is wheelchair/handicap-accessible. Spanish translations are available. To learn about visiting the museum, see Tour Scheduling and Parking Information.  For more information on the museum, visit www.mchistory.org.

The McLean County Museum of History has been an IHA member since 1983.

====================================================

McHenry County Historical Society, Union, Illinois

On July 4, 1976, the McHenry County Historical Society’s museum officially opened to the public.

The society has gathered a comprehensive collection that includes several preserved buildings: the 1847 Gannon Log Cabin; an 1885 town hall, now known as Perkins Hall; and a twentieth-century modern tourist cabin, restored and housed inside the museum.

Museum Entrance

Tourist Cabin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The society can claim several other notable accomplishments:

• In 1982, a local history research library was added to the museum.

• In 1988, the society acquired the West Harmony School, an 1895 one-room schoolhouse now used for c. 1900 school programs at the museum location in Union.

• In 2009, the society acquired the 1898 Riley Methodist Church.

• In 2010, the museum held a Business Diamond Jubilee, saluting McHenry County businesses in operation for more than seventy-five years.

• In 2011, the society helped create the Northern Illinois Quilt Fest, in cooperation with many people across all six northern Illinois counties.

Besides operating the museum, the McHenry County Historical Society places plaques on historic sites and structures, holds adult workshops and classes, makes available traveling exhibits (in The James, a renovated bus), and arranges a wide variety of programs for students and other groups. The society publishes a comprehensive quarterly newsletter, The Tracer, for members. Funding for the society comes from membership dues, admission fees, donations, and a trust fund.

The James

The museum is open May through October, Tuesday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m., and Sunday from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m.

For more information about the museum and its programs, visit http://www.mchsonline.org/

The McHenry County Historical Society has been an IHA member since 1986.